Latest Instagrams
Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Squeaky Clean: Skincare Routine

Last month, I promised an updated skin care routine. So many celebrities and fashion collections began embracing "natural" make-up looks, which validated the importance I place on my skincare.(After all the best base for a great make-up look is healthy skin.) I also just wanted to share the products I've been using recently and how I've changed my mind on others. 

Many people tend to switch their skincare products when the weather changes. The combination of LA's sunny weather and my relatively problem-free skin make me somewhat of an exception to that rule. Instead, my skin care routine changes on the products I use up first or if I notice a specific problem affecting my skin. I have sensitive and oily skin, so I have a few products catering to my skin type. There are also a few other products that work for me that are created for all skin types. Let me walk you through my skincare routine.

Cleansing

In my last skin care post, I featured different kinds of cleansers and masks that I would use on my face throughout the week. I've downsized my skin care regimen because so many of the products I would use were natural and would spoil very easily. It is also far more satisfying to reach the bottom of a bottle than to feel like you'll never run out. (I also live in an apartment with three other girls so counter space is a luxury.)


Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water: I mentioned this product in my January Favorites earlier this month. To reiterate, my go-to make-up remover wipes were irritating and drying out my skin. I have heard endless praise for this product from the British Youtube beauty vloggers, so I was ecstatic when I saw it at our drugstore. This product definitely lives up to the hype. I use it for both make up removal and for cleansing my face after going to the gym. It doesn't have any oils or fragrance in it, leaving your skin fresh and residue-free.

Aēsop Amazing Face Cleanser: After eight months I finally ran out of my Boscia cleanser. I started breaking out towards the end of December, so I asked for this product as a gift. Oftentimes my skin breaks out because it's been overexposed to certain products. This Aēsop cleanser is a foaming gel, but the foam is not as dramatic as my previous cleanser. I don't really think about cleanser affecting my skin dramatically, especially since I have clear skin, but it's perfect for sensitive skin and gets the job done. The mandarin and lavender scents are very refreshing, especially when it's the first thing I use in the morning. 


Lush's Cup O' Coffee Face and Body Mask: Remember when "Instagram models" were promoting coffee scrubs from Australia as opposed to teeth whitening products and diet teas? Ah, a simpler time. Lush finally introduced their version and now I can live out my dream of talking about coffee scrubs. (Be grateful I spared you a photo of my face covered in it.) Lush suggests to use this in the morning to "wake you up", but I find that it works best for be at night when I need a little pick me up during a study session. The coffee grinds make this a bit messy, so I wash it off in the shower.


Toner and Moisturizer

With the exception of my previous cleanser, the products in my previous skin care post became too harsh for my skin. Back when I purchased Clinique's Clarifying Lotion and Hydrating Gel, I needed something to calm the cluster of breakouts on my cheeks. (I still have minor pigmentation and scarring from those breakouts.) Those products were great for getting rid of my acne because they are designed to dry out the problem area. After my skin cleared up, I used those products for preventative measures but it ended up making my skin a bit flakey. It's still a great skincare brand and definitely helped my skin get to where it is now, but I needed a change.


Aēsop Bitter Orange Astringent Toner: This product was recommended for me to accompany my cleanser because of their similar scents and they both cater to oily skin. This toner is very gentle and is meant to omit grime and excess oil still on the skin. Aēsop's packaging may not be ideal for travel, but the results are definitely worth the splurge. 

Caudalíe Premieres Vendanges Moisturizing Cream: I was looking for a moisturizer for both day and night and I came across this brand at Sephora. I don't really like the feeling of heavy moisturizers bringing down my skin so this product is perfect. A little goes a long way and I really like its velvet-texture. This moisturizing cream is cream-based as opposed to gel-based, so the hydrating feeling lasts.  It also brightens my skin, which makes a difference on those days after pulling an all-nighter.

Shop the products I mentioned below:


No comments:

Post a Comment